Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Cast Adrift

My mother used to collect driftwood, sand it down and varnish it. There were really nice pieces some of which are still displayed in places. This was a small piece she kept at home. It always made us think of a small creature looking over it's shoulder. I have since inherited it.  Over the years I made a few attempts at photographing it and this was the best. The glass ball is a real Japanese float that broke away from a fish net and drifted across the ocean where my uncle picked it up off a beach near Seaside, Oregon. 


This is with the 100mm lens at 1/30th sec f16 iso 400. The camera was on a tripod. I had a white product backdrop on the table and taped to the wall. I shot with one flash directly overhead behind a large diffuser. Pretty much the same as the orange.

No comments:

Post a Comment