Sunday, June 9, 2013

Sharp Light

I don't really like having my own picture taken anymore. It isn't completely about age but has a lot to do with it. I have to try face it I am just not the spry young fellow I once was. When I take my own photo I tend to try to smooth out the skin a bit, reduce the lines, and maybe take out any splotches happen to be there. I have seen black and white photos of people where the opposite was done and the photos are as sharp as can be. I think "These people must be real comfortable with where they're at". I also really like to look at the photos because they certainly are interesting and have a beauty of their own. To me part of what makes them great is that they are black and white. I decided I wanted to try this on myself and emulate that style. I always feel odd sitting in front of my camera taking photos of myself. I tend to get a deer in the headlights expression. Believe it or not I am sort of squinting in this photo. Even after I finished converting to black and white I couldn't resist cloning out the odd moustache or eyebrow hair gone wild. As you can see I really had to rein myself in or I would have had a photo with no moustache or eyebrows. 


 I used the 24-70 2.8 at 55mm 1/250th sec f7.1 iso 100. One flash above the camera triggered wirelessly through an umbrella looking down. I had a reflector under my chin to lighten a bit.  I shot in colour and converted to black and white with Silver Efex Pro 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment