Friday, May 21, 2010

It's About That Light

My interest in photography started in high school. I was fortunate to have taken a course in photography and learned about f/stops, shutter speed, and even darkroom work (black and white). My first cameras were manual and I would have to set everything myself. The one thing I didn't really get was metering the light. I knew  how to use the light meter in the camera basically and usually I was happy  with my pictures. Though not always. The meters in or on cameras are designed  to measure the light and get an average exposure. If the lighting situation  is a little tricky, the light meter may have difficulty getting it right.
 I set aside my photography for a time and mainly used the camera for  family photo's or holiday pictures. When I decided to pursue it again I decided  to be more in control of the light. I started getting flashes and light modifiers. I started measuring the light separate from the camera. I used different metering modes for different situations
This Picture was kind of a wow moment for me. This was the picture where I first really got what controlling the light was about. I took it with an  old Yashica12 TLR . I had 2 flashes, the main one was to my left behind an umbrella and the other one behind her high to the right highlighting her hair. I pinned a black backdrop to the wall behind her. I then used a  flash meter to set get the light readings off the flash. When I first saw the print I thought "Wow, I did that?"(Hence the wow moment). So now whenever I take  a picture one of my first considerations is how I will measure the the  light. I still use the light meter in the camera and make use of the different metering modes.
 Cameras and their light meters are a lot smarter these days and they can adapt to more situations. I think though for one who is interested in photography, it is a good idea to get their camera out of program mode and learn about aperture, shutter speed, and measuring the light. In the digital age learning is so much easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment