Monday, April 4, 2011

An Environmental Portrait

The Hope Slide. I remember this day, the day it happened. It was so long ago it's almost like a dream. The details are fuzzy of course but I recall trying to picture the scene in my mind. My imagination was just not big enough. I saw some photo's in the years after and even they couldn't do it justice. It isn't until you are there you can see just how huge It is. It's a pretty epic scene. I took the normal photo's looking up the mountain and they were okay. Jenn and I went walking out amongst the rocks which isn't highly recommended as it is somewhat treacherous. I was leaning against a rock at one point and realized it was bigger than my van. I looked around me and there were rocks strewn about all around me that size and bigger. I asked Jenn to go sit on this particular rock for a photo. Although you can't see that the rock field is 85 metres deep, 3 kilometres wide and crosses the entire valley I think this photo gives an impression of the scope of what happened here. Every once in a while I would stop and try to imagine the noise this must have made. My imagination still isn't big enough I don't think.

This image is cropped some, colour balanced, sharpened. I don't have the exposure recorded.

1 comment:

  1. January 9, 1965. Originally it was thought to have been triggered by two minor earthquakes. However it is now believed that the slide was the source of the seismograph readings! The rock debris is mostly massive to slightly foliated Bridge River terrane greenstone, with minor felsic granitic rock at the base and contact. The contact is weak and slopes into the valley at 30 degrees. There was an earlier, similar slide 9,600 ybp.
    Mountain slides are a constant feature in BC. Recall last years big slide upstream from Pemberton off Meager Creek?

    http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Photos+Pemberton+area+slide+second+largest+Canadian+history/3372871/story.html

    ReplyDelete